Thursday 1 October 2015

Why do Women Slut Shame Themselves

It was well over one hundred years ago that women risked their lives and began the lengthy fight for us to have equal rights. I can't imagine how furious they would be if they were alive today to witness how some of us sabotage ourselves in the work place. Women are still fighting for equal pay and equal opportunity for advancement in the corporate world to this day.

So why I ask am I being told during my morning latte by three corporate men, that women are doing things like taking naked selfies, putting them on the Internet, and even worse, showing these pictures to their male coworkers.

Gaining the respect of your boss and coworkers is difficult enough without sabotaging yourself by being promiscuous. You can't expect to be promoted if you've disgraced yourself this way, you may even be risking your job. It would be difficult for any of those men to take you seriously if you were to become their boss down the road. Even worse is that you are inviting sexual advances from men you quite possibly do not want to hook up with, and it will be difficult for you to defend yourself or file a complaint against them, when everyone you work with has witnessed what could only be considered as encouragement.

Don't get me wrong, I do not place all the blame on women for this inappropriate flirtatious behavior. Men as well are to blame. I have yet to work with a man that wanted to have an intelligent conversation with me. The only topics they are willing to discuss are those that revolve around sex, and perversion, and if I don't play along I'm bullied, harassed, and alienated. They've even gone out of their way to make it difficult for me to do my job. When I complained it only got worse. I was a lone wolf, a position I wouldn't recommend anyone to put themselves in, it was mentally and emotionally taxing.

The best advice I can give women is to present yourself in a respectable manner right from day one, and do not waver from this. Dress, and act professionally at all times. Then you will at least be putting yourself in the best position to be taken seriously, and treated with respect. If you represent yourself this way, and are mistreated you will have a leg to stand on, and be able to defend yourself.

Most people let their need to be liked override their choice to stand up for themselves. They also choose not to confront inappropriate behavior for fear of the repercussions of being alienated from the pack. A situation I have witnessed far too many times.

We need to take action, to start talking openly with men, and women from a young age. Companies are starting to hire people to discuss and coach their employees on appropriate behavior in the work place, which is definitely a move in the right direction. Both sexes must be educated that women are thinking, and feeling beings. We are not to be treated or to be felt as though we have to play the part of sex object in order to belong among a group of men.



No comments:

Post a Comment